Furnace Maintenance in Lexington, Versailles, Nicholasville, KY and Surrounding Areas
Why You Need (And What To Expect From) Yearly Furnace Maintenance In Lexington
You may think that your furnace is a set-it-and-forget-it fixture in your home, but this could not be further from the truth. Just like most mechanical things, your furnace needs yearly maintenance. All manufacturers recommend this service to keep your equipment running both safely and efficiently.
Effective regular maintenance is a prerequisite for efficient operation. One can do many things to maintain the heating system, regardless of the type of furnace, to prevent the heating repair Lexington KY, for as long as possible.
Preparations Before Beginning Work on a Heating or Cooling System.
- Verify that the device is getting electricity. Check the main entrance panel.
- If the device has a reset button, locate it near the motor housing, mark it RESET, and press it after the motor has cooled for 30 minutes.
- Wait 30 minutes, then press the reset button once again if the device still won’t turn on. At least once more, repeat before calling a professional for furnace installation Lexington KY.
- Verify that the thermostat is set correctly. If necessary, adjust the setting by 5 degrees higher.
- Ensure the gas supply is turned on and the pilot light is lit if the appliance runs on gas.
What Happens During Furnace Maintenance
You may think that a yearly checkup is mostly about changing out air filters, but you would be wrong. These trips include all working mechanical aspects of your equipment, from filters to blowers. A few things that will happen during your maintenance include:
- Checking for any blockage and/or leakage. This will happen on both the interior and the exterior.
- The blower will be checked, including access and seals.
- Mechanical parts will be checked for rust and corrosion.
- All burners will be looked over. Proper ignition, burner flame, and flame sense will be verified.
- The burners need to be checked to make sure they ignite properly and have adequate flame and flame sense.
- The drainage system will be checked for blocks or leaks. This includes the hoses inside the furnace. Lastly, the condensate drain and trap will be cleaned of any debris and then properly refilled.
- Electrical components and wiring will be checked to ensure everything is in proper working order and there is no damage.
- The filters will be replaced.
Quick Pointers to Keep Your Furnace in Top Condition.
Check to See if Your Thermostat is Operating Correctly
Does the temperature in the house seem to match the setting on your thermostat? A thermostat’s performance can be adversely affected by dirt and incorrect calibration. Make an appointment with an HVAC repair Lexington KY specialist to check your thermostat is calibrated correctly.
Examine the Air Filter
It’s vital to clean your air filters routinely. Air filters help maintain excellent indoor air quality and guard against allergens and diseases spread by the air.
Examine The Tension Belt
Your house furnace may run noisily if the tension belt is out of alignment. Replace the belt if it appears frayed or worn.
Oil The Engine
You should pour a few drops of oil into the furnace during maintenance in Lexington, KY, every season and as needed.
You Should Clean the Vents
You should frequently inspect vents for obstructions and debris. Carbon monoxide poisoning from blocked ventilation could be lethal. You should have professional help for furnace maintenance in Lexington, KY.
Watch The Control Value Closely
A control valve is typically present in furnaces for security purposes. It is one of the first areas to investigate if your furnace isn’t generating heat.
Maintain Frequent Furnace Cleanings
Do you also have a list of things to clean that includes your furnace? To keep your energy and heating bills affordable, keep your furnace clean.
Spring Shut Down
Gas furnaces need to be turned off after the winter season. Increasing your furnace’s effectiveness is an excellent time to clean it and change the air filter.
Furnace Maintenance In Lexington You Can Trust
Not all maintenance repairs companies are created equally. While there are some parts of servicing your furnace that you can (and should) do, such as changing filters frequently, there are other aspects that are best left to professionals, such as checking electrical draw.
If your unit is more than a decade old, the safest and most cost-efficient route is to call Southern Comfort Heating & Cooling. With over 60 years of combined experience, our technicians have the skills to make sure your home furnace system is running at peak performance.
Any one of a heating or cooling system’s three parts, the heat or cold source, the distribution system, or the thermostat, could be to blame for a malfunction. A malfunctioning thermostat or control could prevent the system from turning on or could make it repeatedly turn on and off.
Finding the source of the issues typically only requires some patience and common sense. If you need heating service Lexington KY, Southern Comfort Heating & Cooling is your one-stop shop. Give us a call or mail us to schedule an appointment.